Currently Reading

Currently Reading: The Undivided by Jennifer Fallon

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Most Anticipated Books of 2011

We're already two months into the year, and one of the novels that would have appeared on this list has already arrived (The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie). Time to get moving!

There are some very high profile releases that barely need mentioning, but I will very briefly highlight George R. R. Martin's A Dance With Dragons, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss and The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch (after all, The Lies of Locke Lamora was my favourite read of 2010). If I had read beyond the first entry in The Malazan Book of the Fallen to date I'm sure The Crippled God by Steven Erikson would also make the list.

I should also mention Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's A Memory of Light, which is more likely to be released in 2012, but in case it makes a 2011 release window it should be highlighted as my most anticipated, bar none. A fifteen year commitment to a series means a lot.

Here are some of my most anticipated releases - and they aren't all sequels:

The Dragon's Path - Daniel Abraham
Abraham's debut series, The Long Price Quartet, has been regularly declared the most criminally underrated Fantasy series of the last decade. Early readers suggest that The Dragon's Path ventures into more mainstream (read: marketable) territory.

Cold Fire - Kate Elliott
This is an absolute no-brainer, since Cold Magic was my favourite book published in 2010. I haven't seen aa synopsis or cover art for Cold Fire, but I don't need it to be excited.


Spellbound - Blake Charlton
Blake Charlton used his own life knowledge and experience to create a refreshingly new world in Spellwright and deliver a hero with a perfectly believeable struggle - dyslexia.

The Coldest War - Ian Tregillis
Bitter Seeds was my favourite debut novel of 2010 and I can't wait to read what becomes of our heroes and indeed the world as a whole in the wake of a World War II that didn't quite play out as history suggests. The title is a pretty fair clue as to where Tregillis is headed.

The Unremembered - Peter Orullian
The most hyped debut of 2011. I'm caught up in it. Why not?


Honourable mentions should also be given to by N. K. Jemisin (The Kingdom of Gods), Mark Charan Newton (The Book of Transformations) and R. Scott Bakker (The White Luck Warrior) whose work I find very exciting, but I am not up to date in their series.

No comments:

Post a Comment