Currently Reading

Currently Reading: The Undivided by Jennifer Fallon

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Favourite Reads of 2010

Obviously I am very late to the party, but late February in 2011 is a better time to make this post than never. So here are my three favourite books that I read in 2010, listed in their appropriate category.

Favourite Read of the Year (and Favourite Novel Not Published in 2010)
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - Full Review

The last book I read in 2010 has left quite an impression. For pure page-turning thrills and an unsurpassed level of enjoyment, I couldn't look past Scott Lynch's debut effort in The Gentlemen Bastards sequence. Vivid world building and an endlessly likeable hero combined with a devastating sense of humour.


Favourite Novel Published in 2010
Cold Magic by Kate Elliott - Full Review

Had a confluence of events not brought Kate Elliott to a semi-local independent bookshop I would honestly never have pickd up this book. 2010 was the year that I realised how male-centric my reading had been, and Kate Elliott's first entry in the Spiritwalker trilogy was an excellent initial step in remedying that situation. I choose to end this paragraph now, before I type something that will sound patronising, however well intentioned.


Favourite Debut Novel of 2010
Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis - Full Review

Another novel that would have probably passed me by, Ian Tregillis's attendance at Aussicon4 gave me the inspiration I needed to pick this up. His delightful alchemy brings together history, magic and fantastical science in this World War II era thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment