Currently Reading

Currently Reading: The Undivided by Jennifer Fallon

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mini Review: Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

Grave Peril – Jim Butcher (Published 2001)
Genre: Fantasy
Sub-genre: Urban
Completed: November 28 2010

Towards the end of last year I decided to blow one of my Audible credits on Storm Front (review), the first book of Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files. I was immediately hooked.

Popular opinion suggested that the series really takes off with the third entry – Grave Peril. I concur with the masses. This third entry really ramps up the tension. Butcher creates such an frightening mood that I found myself truly convinced that something terrible could happen to Harry Dresden. He becomes utterly uncertain and outmatched. The intensity overwhelmed the voice in the back of my head that tried, vainly, to remind me that Harry is the protagonist of a series that runs many books beyond this title.

For it’s value as engrossing and involving entertainment I give Grave Peril the full 5 stars. It might have even been my favourite book of the year had I not read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

No comments:

Post a Comment