Currently Reading

Currently Reading: The Undivided by Jennifer Fallon

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mini Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams (Published 1979)
Genre: Science Fiction
Sub-genre: Parody
Completed: December 16 2010

Structurally speaking, this will be the worst (mini) review ever. You’ve been warned.

I enjoyed reading The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, but not as much as I hoped. Everything that is good about Douglas Adams’s novel has been said many times… all I can add is an explanation of why I didn’t enjoy it as much as I anticipated.

I didn’t laugh out loud while I was reading the book. I smirked, I even occasionally chuckled, but I never guffawed. I expected to, hence I was disappointed. There are few books that have a reputation like this one, but the very British sense of humour hits and (frequently) misses with me. I feel the same about Good Omens. It certainly didn’t help that I had seen the 2005 film and thus already heard most of the jokes.

Sadly I can only award The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy 3 stars. It’s a good book, probably a great book, but I don’t think it supports the vast weight of expectation that popular consciousness has heaped upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment