Currently Reading

Currently Reading: The Undivided by Jennifer Fallon

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hugo Nominations Closed




Nominations for the Hugo Awards have now closed. I was fortunate as a member of Aussiecon4 last year to be elligible to participate. Here are the works I went for.

BEST NOVEL
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N. K. Jemisin
Bitter Seeds - Ian Tregillis
The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson (I doubt this will even make the final ballot, it's probably more mainstream than the kind of books I think win Hugo Awards, but I wanted to show my support)

BEST RELATED WORK
Writing Excuses Season 4 (my favourite podcast, officially elligible this year)

BEST GRAPHIC STORY
Schlock Mercenary: Massively Parallel - Howard Tayler

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION - LONG FORM
Inception

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION - SHORT FORM
I didn't actually nominate, but I hope Fringe is recognised. I've really started to like that show!

BEST EDITOR, LONG FORM
Lou Anders

BEST EDITOR, SHORT FORM
Jonathan Strahan

THE JOHN W. CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER
Dan Wells (his debut was I am Not a Serial Killer)
N. K. Jemisin (I have a huge soft spot for Wells but I think Jemisin should win)
Ian Tregillis

My responses obviously indicate my Fantasy bias and my love for the Writing Excuses crew.

I didn't nominate in every category, because even though I am a big fan of Science Fiction and Fantasy literature I just don't know enough to cover every category. I can't see anyone other than industry professionals and super-dedicated life long fans knowing enough to address everything from 'Best Fan Artist' to 'Best Semiprozine' I do hope that once I see the final nominations I will be able to read enough of the material to be an informed voter. I wasn't the most informed nominator.

If you are one of the chosen few who read the blog, why not reply and let me know what you nominated (or would have nominated if you were elligible).

No comments:

Post a Comment